(Update March 2019) To get a definition of the roles needed to maximize your organization’s investment in cloud, explore the latest skills in demand by job role with Cloud Academy’s Cloud Roster™.
Cloud Academy is always on the lookout for the most promising Cloud Computing opportunities.
Employers: interested in reaching our readers with your job openings? Send us an email.
This week we are back to searching for interesting AWS jobs worldwide. With no particular criteria except…AWS. You will find opportunities below in the U.S, on both the East Coast and the West Coast, Australia, and Canada.
1. Data Engineer
GrubHub – New York, NY, US
Be the first of your friends to declare, “I love where I work!” and actually mean it. Laugh hard and work hard with some of the best and brightest in the tech industry.
GrubHub Holdings Inc. is the nation’s leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The GrubHub Holdings Inc. portfolio of brands includes GrubHub, Seamless, MenuPages and Allmenus. The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from thousands of takeout restaurants across the country and London, and every order is supported by the company’s 24/7 customer service. GrubHub Holdings Inc. has offices in Chicago, New York City and London.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Experience with columnar storage and massive parallel processing data warehouses (Redshift preferred)
- Experience modeling and querying for NoSQL databases (Cassandra preferred, HBase acceptable)
- Experience working within the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem (S3, EC2, etc)
- Develop compelling PoC’s for data solutions using emerging technologies for real-time and big data ingestion and processing
- Contribute to designing, building, and deploying high-performance production platforms/infrastructure to support data warehousing, real-time ETL, and and batch big-data processing; help define standards and best practices for enterprise usage
- Design, build, and maintain processes and components of a streaming data/ETL pipeline to support real-time analytics (from requirements to data transformation, data modeling, metric definition, reporting, etc)
- Focus on data quality – detect data/analytics quality issues all the way down to root cause, and implement fixes and data audits to prevent/capture such issues
- Collaborate with data scientists to design and develop processes to further business unit and company-wide data science initiatives on a common data platform
- Translate business analytic needs into enterprise data models and ETL processes to populate them
2. DevOps Engineer
ThoughtWorks – San Francisco, USA
At ThoughtWorks our dedication to the art of software delivery has long meant driving deeper collaboration between different parts of an organization. We literally wrote the book on Continuous Delivery, which recognizes the deeper role of infrastructure and operations as an integral part of the delivery process, and have been an active part of the DevOps community since the beginning.
As a DevOps Engineer at ThoughtWorks you are responsible for bringing and spreading the knowledge, ideas, and hands-on implementation skills needed to deliver and run software services.
We help our customers to adopt DevOps approaches, break out of rigid, traditional ways of working and move to more customer-focused and agile approach. We currently have multiple positions for experts in infrastructure as code and DevOps to join us.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Extensive experience working with server virtualization (VMWare, Xen, etc.), IaaS and PaaS cloud (AWS, Azure, GCE, Rackspace, Digital Ocean, Heroku, OpenStack, CloudStack, CloudFoundry.)
- Infrastructure provisioning tools (such as Docker, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Packer, CloudFormation, Terraform)
As a DevOps Engineer at ThoughtWorks you are responsible for ensuring that the team and client have an understanding of operational requirements, and take shared responsibility for designing and implementing the infrastructure for delivering and running software services. This includes hands-on involvement in building deployment and testing pipelines, automated provisioning of cloud infrastructure, and infrastructure support services such as monitoring. There are a lot of moving pieces to fit together so communication is essential to ensure stuff is not missed. You will be depended upon for advice regarding the cross-functional aspects of user stories which may not always be obvious from the start. Watching out for performance bottlenecks and scaling pitfalls are all within the realms of an Infrastructure Developer at ThoughtWorks. In addition to technical skills, at ThoughtWorks we also need excellent coaches so your patience and a desire to take others along with you is absolutely key. If this sounds appealing then we want to talk to you!
3. Linux Systems Administrator / DevOps Engineer
Finite IT Recruitment Solutions – Melbourne
This role is part of the infrastructure team that manages the physical and virtual systems and networks that the company runs on. You will be responsible for maintaining and growing the companies’ infrastructure and systems, and you’ll play a crucial role in how the team manages core programs and processes.
On your bow you will have 5 or more years of experience building and managing Linux systems (they use Ubuntu and RHEL) in a highly available and scalable environment. You will also have extensive experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS), since it plays a big role in their current and future infrastructure plans.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Managing and optimizing AWS cloud infrastructure.
- Improving their logging and monitoring processes.
- Debugging critical infrastructure issues and general on-call duties.
- Creating secure and scalable systems in AWS.
- Experience using sysctl to tune performance.
- Experience operating highly available, large-scale distributed systems.
- Apache and mod_wsgi, Ngnix, Node.js.
- Load Balancing (Big-IP F5).
- Databases(PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Cassandra).
- Backup and Recovery.
- Monitoring and Performance Tuning (Zenoss, statsd/graphite, Logstash, ElasticSearch).
4. Build Master/Configuration Specialist (AWS, Linux, GIT, Puppet, etc.)
TouchTunes Interactive Networks – Montreal
In the clouds do you enjoy wielding the power to create, scale up and scale down compute clusters? Are you a technical puppet master able to automate and extend build systems?
Do you think not using a button on a web browser to deploy an entire compute cluster is so 2010? Are you an entrepreneurial spirit with strong closing abilities? Do you dream of containerization and virtualization systems and think the cloud is not big enough for the software you help deploy?
Then TouchTunes may be looking for you!
TouchTunes is the largest in-venue interactive music and entertainment platform, featured in over 71,000 bars and restaurants across North America and Europe. Our network supports a growing portfolio of location-based digital solutions that encourage social interactions through shared experiences.
TouchTunes is looking for software Build Master / Configuration Specialist to work in our Services Platform Division.
The Build Master /Configuration specialist works with architects, production leads, technical leads, developers, and IT staff to analyze, develop and create development infrastructures; code repository and review systems; and containerization and deployment software for the TouchTunes Services Platform.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and evolve various build process: Mobile Application, Backend Server and REST APIs on AWS.
- Help design, build, test and configure our next generation containerized micro-services platform (Docker).
- Maintain and update the build tools (Java, php, rpm, Git, JHBuild, Maven, Jenkins, Gerrit) and create tools to report the status of builds and their content.
- Create and maintain puppet configurations.
- Create tools to provide adequate documentation for managers and developers.
- Administrate a knowledge-based (Confluence) site that is used by 5 development groups (Montreal, Chicago, New York, Bangalore, Russia) and develops plugins (Java) to enhance functionality.
- Enforce the “continuous integration” paradigm for every development team.
- Support various development and operations groups by providing them a standardized process, from code push to deployment.
Which Certifications Should I Get?
As we mentioned in an earlier post, the old AWS slogan, “Cloud is the new normal” is indeed a reality today. Really, cloud has been the new normal for a while now and getting credentials has become an increasingly effective way to quickly showcase your abilities to recruiters and compan...
New Content: AWS, Azure, Typescript, Java, Docker, 13 New Labs, and Much More
This month, our Content Team released a whopping 13 new labs in real cloud environments! If you haven't tried out our labs, you might not understand why we think that number is so impressive. Our labs are not “simulated” experiences — they are real cloud environments using accounts on A...
Kickstart Your Tech Training With a Free Week on Cloud Academy
Are you looking to make a jump in your technical career? Want to get trained or certified on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, DevOps, Kubernetes, Python, or another in-demand skill?Then you'll want to mark your calendar. Starting Monday, June 22 at 12:00 a.m. PDT (3:00 a.m. EDT), ...
New Content: AZ-500 and AZ-400 Updates, 3 Google Professional Exam Preps, Practical ML Learning Path, C# Programming, and More
This month, our Content Team released tons of new content and labs in real cloud environments. Not only that, but we introduced our very first highly interactive "Office Hours" webinar. This webinar, Acing the AWS Solutions Architect Associate Certification, started with a quick overvie...
Azure vs. AWS: Which Certification Provides the Brighter Future?
More and more companies are using cloud services, prompting more and more people to switch their current IT position to something cloud-related. The problem is most people only have that much time after work to learn new technologies, and there are plenty of cloud services that you can ...
Blog Digest: 5 Reasons to Get AWS Certified, OWASP Top 10, Getting Started with VPCs, Top 10 Soft Skills, and More
Thank you for being a valued member of our community! We recently sent out a short survey to understand what type of content you would like us to add to Cloud Academy, and we want to thank everyone who gave us their input. If you would like to complete the survey, it's not too late. It ...
New Content: Alibaba, Azure Cert Prep: AI-100, AZ-104, AZ-204 & AZ-400, Amazon Athena Playground, Google Cloud Developer Challenge, and much more
This month, our Content Team released 8 new learning paths, 4 courses, 7 labs in real cloud environments, and 4 new knowledge check assessments. Not only that, but we introduced our very first course on Alibaba Cloud, and our expert instructors are working 'round the clock to create 6 n...
Top 5 Reasons to Get AWS Certified Right Now
Cloud computing trends are on the rise and have been for some time already. Fortunately, it’s never too late to start learning cloud computing. Skills like AWS and others associated with cloud computing are in high demand because cloud technologies have become crucial for many businesse...
Introducing Our Newest Lab Environments: Lab Playgrounds
Want to train in a real cloud environment, but feel slowed down by spinning up your own deployments? When you consider security or pricing costs, it can be costly and challenging to get up to speed quickly for self-training. To solve this problem, Cloud Academy created a new suite of la...
Blog Digest: AWS Breaking News, Azure DevOps, AWS Study Guide, 8 Ways to Prevent a Ransomware Attack, and More
New articles by topicAWS Azure Data Science Google Cloud Cloud Adoption Platform Updates & New Content Security Women in TechAWSBreaking News: All AWS Certification Exams Now Available Online As an Advanced AWS Technology Partner, C...
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate: A Study Guide
Want to take a really impactful step in your technical career? Explore the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certificate. Its new version (SAA-C02) was released on March 23, 2020, though you can still take SAA-C01 through July 1, 2020. This post will focus on version SAA-C02.The AWS...
New on Cloud Academy: AWS Solutions Architect Exam Prep, Azure Courses, GCP Engineer Exam Prep, Programming, and More
Free content on Cloud Academy More and more customers are relying on our technology and content to keep upskilling their people in these months, and we are doing our best to keep supporting them. While the world fights the COVID-19 pandemic, we wanted to make a small contribution to he...