AWS is renowned for the rate at which it reinvents, revolutionizes, and meets customer demands and expectations through its continuous cycle of feature and service updates. With hundreds of updates a month, it can be difficult to stay on top of all the changes made available.
Here at Cloud Academy, we strive to bring you the latest and most up-to-date content, allowing you to continually stay informed of the most important significant and important updates. Compute is one of the foundational building blocks of AWS, and as a result, our AWS Compute Fundamentals of AWS course is one of our most popular pieces of content in this category.
Our latest update has seen revisions made to all lectures — in addition to new visuals and audio. There have also been two new lectures covering compute services, including:
- Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR): This service links closely with the EC2 Container Service (ECS) as it provides a secure location to store and manage your Docker images that can be distributed and deployed across your applications. This is a fully managed service, and as a result, you do not need to provision any infrastructure to create this registry of Docker images. This service is provided and managed by AWS and is primarily used by developers, allowing them to push, pull, and manage their library of Docker images in a secure, central location.
In the lecture covering ECR, I will look at some of the components used within the service:
- Authorization Token
- Repository Policy
Watch this short video for an overview of the ECR components:
- Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (EKS): With EKS, AWS provides a managed service allowing you to run Kubernetes across your AWS infrastructure without having to take care of provisioning and running the Kubernetes management infrastructure in what’s referred to as the “control plane.” You, the AWS account owner, only need to provision and maintain the worker nodes.
In this lecture, I will explain the Kubernetes control plane and worker nodes, in addition to what’s required to start using the EKS service.
Watch this short video for an overview of Amazon EKS
The full course is approximately 80 minutes long and provides a foundation and overview of the below AWS services. This knowledge can empower you to select the most appropriate service for your solutions.
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2): Understand all elements of EC2, including how it’s put together, and how it works. Since this section covers all the elements of EC2, it is the longest lecture.
- Amazon ECS (EC2 Container Service): Gain a high-level overview of the EC2 Container Service and how it relates to Docker.
- Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR): Learn how ECR links closely with ECS to provide a secure location to store and manage your Docker images
- Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (EKS): Learn how EKS provides a managed service allowing you to run Kubernetes across your AWS infrastructure without having to take care of running the Kubernetes control plane
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk: Understand how Elastic Beanstalk is used to automatically deploy applications using EC2 and a number of other AWS services.
- AWS Lambda: Learn what serverless means and how AWS Lambda is used to run your own code in response to events.
- AWS Batch: Gain a high-level overview of AWS Batch and how it relates to batch computing
- Amazon Lightsail: Understand that Amazon Lightsail is a Virtual Private Server solution used for small scale projects and use cases.
If you want to learn the differences between the AWS compute services, then this course is for you! With demonstrations and multiple Hands-on Labs, you will gain the theory, technical knowledge, and experience using many of the AWS services, while enabling you to have a solid understanding of the AWS compute services.
New Content: Platforms, Programming, and DevOps – Something for Everyone
This month our team of expert certification specialists released three new or updated learning paths, 16 courses, 13 hands-on labs, and four lab challenges! New content on Cloud Academy You can always visit our Content Roadmap to see what’s just released as well as what’s coming soon....
Mastering AWS Organizations Service Control Policies
Service Control Policies (SCPs) are IAM-like policies to manage permissions in AWS Organizations. SCPs restrict the actions allowed for accounts within the organization making each one of them compliant with your guidelines. SCPs are not meant to grant permissions; you should consider ...
New Content: Focus on DevOps and Programming Content this Month
This month our team of expert certification specialists released 12 new or updated learning paths, 15 courses, 25 hands-on labs, and four lab challenges! New content on Cloud Academy You can always visit our Content Roadmap to see what’s just released as well as what’s coming soon. Ja...
New Content: Get Ready for the CISM Cert Exam & Learn About Alibaba, Plus All the AWS, GCP, and Azure Courses You Know You Can Count On
This month our team of intrepid certification specialists released five learning paths, seven courses, 19 hands-on labs, and three lab challenges! One particularly interesting new learning path is Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) Foundations. After completing this learn...
Which Certifications Should I Get?
The old AWS slogan, “Cloud is the new normal” is indeed a reality today. Really, cloud has been the new normal for a while now and getting credentials has become an increasingly effective way to quickly showcase your abilities to recruiters and companies. With all that in mind, the s...
The 12 AWS Certifications: Which is Right for You and Your Team?
As companies increasingly shift workloads to the public cloud, cloud computing has moved from a nice-to-have to a core competency in the enterprise. This shift requires a new set of skills to design, deploy, and manage applications in cloud computing. As the market leader and most ma...
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate: A Study Guide
Want to take a really impactful step in your technical career? Explore the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certificate. Its new version (SAA-C02) was released on March 23, 2020. The AWS Solutions Architect - Associate Certification (or Sol Arch Associate for short) offers some ...
New Content: AWS Terraform, Java Programming Lab Challenges, Azure DP-900 & DP-300 Certification Exam Prep, Plus Plenty More Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Big Data Courses
This month our Content Team continues building the catalog of courses for everyone learning about AWS, GCP, and Microsoft Azure. In addition, this month’s updates include several Java programming lab challenges and a couple of courses on big data. In total, we released five new learning...
Where Should You Be Focusing Your AWS Security Efforts?
Another day, another re:Invent session! This time I listened to Stephen Schmidt’s session, “AWS Security: Where we've been, where we're going.” Amongst covering the highlights of AWS security during 2020, a number of newly added AWS features/services were discussed, including: AWS Audit...
AWS re:Invent: 2020 Keynote Top Highlights and More
We’ve gotten through the first five days of the special all-virtual 2020 edition of AWS re:Invent. It’s always a really exciting time for practitioners in the field to see what features and services AWS has cooked up for the year ahead. This year’s conference is a marathon and not a...
WARNING: Great Cloud Content Ahead
At Cloud Academy, content is at the heart of what we do. We work with the world’s leading cloud and operations teams to develop video courses and learning paths that accelerate teams and drive digital transformation. First and foremost, we listen to our customers’ needs and we stay ahea...
Excelling in AWS, Azure, and Beyond – How Danut Prisacaru Prepares for the Future
Meet Danut Prisacaru. Danut has been a Software Architect for the past 10 years and has been involved in Software Engineering for 30 years. He’s passionate about software and learning, and jokes that coding is basically the only thing he can do well (!). We think his enthusiasm shines t...