We’ve gotten through the first five days of the special all-virtual 2020 edition of AWS re:Invent. It’s always a really exciting time for practitioners in the field to see what features and services AWS has cooked up for the year ahead.
This year’s conference is a marathon and not a sprint — it’s three weeks, from Nov. 30 – Dec 18, plus Jan. 12-14. Because of that, let’s focus on the big news: all the good stuff from AWS CEO Andy Jassy’s keynote.
We’ve gone straight to our AWS Content & Security Lead, Stuart Scott, to give a concise overview of what’s important. Stuart knows what he’s talking about with AWS: he’s an AWS Community Builder, has authored 100 courses for Cloud Academy, and has had over 100,000 students take his courses. So let’s get to it — here are Stuart’s highlights in tweet form from the Andy Jassy keynote.
AWS re:Invent keynote new services and features
- Habana Gaudi-based Amazon EC2 instances – Built specifically for ML training and powered by Habana Gaudi processors
- AWS Trainium – ML training chip custom-designed by AWS to deliver the most cost-effective training in the cloud
- ECS Anywhere – Run ECS in your own data center
- EKS Anywhere – Run EKS in your own data center
- Lambda Container Support – Build Lambda-based applications using existing container development workflows
- AWS Proton – The first fully managed deployment service for container and serverless applications
- gp3 volumes for EBS – Provision the IOPS or throughput you need without having to add storage capacity
- io2 Block Express – The highest IOPS throughput in the cloud
- Amazon Aurora Serverless v2 – Scale to hundreds of thousands of transactions in a fraction of a second
- Babelfish for Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL – Run SQL Server applications on Aurora PostgreSQL with little to no code changes
- Babelfish for PostgreSQL – Open-source project
- AWS Glue Elastic Views – Easily build materialized views that automatically combine and replicate data across multiple data stores
- Amazon SageMaker Data Wrangler – The fastest way to prepare data for ML
- Amazon SageMaker Feature Store – A new repository that makes it easy to store, update and share ML features
- Amazon SageMaker Pipelines – The first purpose-built, easy-to-use CI/CD service for ML
- Amazon DevOps Guru – A new service that uses ML to identify operational issues long before they impact customers
- Amazon QuickSight Q – Ask Q any question in natural language and get answers in seconds
- Amazon Connect Wisdom – A new capability that uses ML to deliver agents the product and service information they need to solve issues in real time
- Amazon Connect Customer Profiles – Gives agents a unified profile of each customer to provide more personalized service during a call
- Real-Time Contact Lens for Amazon Connect – Identifies issues in real time to impact customer interactions during the call itself
- Amazon Connect Tasks – Automates, tracks, and manages tasks for contact center agents
- Amazon Connect Voice ID – Real-time caller authentication using ML-powered voice analysis
- Amazon Monitron – End-to-end solution for equipment monitoring
- Amazon Lookout for Equipment – Anomaly detection service for industrial machinery
- AWS Panorama Appliance – A new hardware appliance that allows organizations to add computer vision to existing on-premises cameras
- AWS Panorama SDK – Enables hardware vendors to build new cameras that run more meaningful computer vision models at the edge
- AWS Outposts in two new sizes – Smaller Outposts to run AWS infrastructure in locations with less space
- New AWS Local Zones coming across different geographic areas
New at re:Invent – AWS Glue Elastic Views – A video explainer
Stuart dives deeper into the new AWS Glue Elastic Views feature, which can easily combine and replicate source data across multiple different target data stores, while at the same time manifesting a virtual table of combined data which can then be accessed by your applications.
Keep up on all the AWS news
New Content: AWS Terraform, Java Programming Lab Challenges, Azure DP-900 & DP-300 Certification Exam Prep, Plus Plenty More Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Big Data Courses
This month our Content Team continues building the catalog of courses for everyone learning about AWS, GCP, and Microsoft Azure. In addition, this month’s updates include several Java programming lab challenges and a couple of courses on big data. In total, we released five new learning...
Where Should You Be Focusing Your AWS Security Efforts?
Another day, another re:Invent session! This time I listened to Stephen Schmidt’s session, “AWS Security: Where we've been, where we're going.” Amongst covering the highlights of AWS security during 2020, a number of newly added AWS features/services were discussed, including: AWS Audit...
WARNING: Great Cloud Content Ahead
At Cloud Academy, content is at the heart of what we do. We work with the world’s leading cloud and operations teams to develop video courses and learning paths that accelerate teams and drive digital transformation. First and foremost, we listen to our customers’ needs and we stay ahea...
Excelling in AWS, Azure, and Beyond – How Danut Prisacaru Prepares for the Future
Meet Danut Prisacaru. Danut has been a Software Architect for the past 10 years and has been involved in Software Engineering for 30 years. He’s passionate about software and learning, and jokes that coding is basically the only thing he can do well (!). We think his enthusiasm shines t...
New Content: AWS Data Analytics – Specialty Certification, Azure AI-900 Certification, Plus New Learning Paths, Courses, Labs, and More
This month our Content Team released two big certification Learning Paths: the AWS Certified Data Analytics - Speciality, and the Azure AI Fundamentals AI-900. In total, we released four new Learning Paths, 16 courses, 24 assessments, and 11 labs. New content on Cloud Academy At any ...
New Content: Azure DP-100 Certification, Alibaba Cloud Certified Associate Prep, 13 Security Labs, and Much More
This past month our Content Team served up a heaping spoonful of new and updated content. Not only did our experts release the brand new Azure DP-100 Certification Learning Path, but they also created 18 new hands-on labs — and so much more! New content on Cloud Academy At any time, y...
AWS Certification Practice Exam: What to Expect from Test Questions
If you’re building applications on the AWS cloud or looking to get started in cloud computing, certification is a way to build deep knowledge in key services unique to the AWS platform. AWS currently offers 12 certifications that cover major cloud roles including Solutions Architect, De...
Overcoming Unprecedented Business Challenges with AWS
From auto-scaling applications with high availability to video conferencing that’s used by everyone, every day — cloud technology has never been more popular or in-demand. But what does this mean for experienced cloud professionals and the challenges they face as they carve out a new p...
Constant Content: Cloud Academy’s Q3 2020 Roadmap
Hello — Andy Larkin here, VP of Content at Cloud Academy. I am pleased to release our roadmap for the next three months of 2020 — August through October. Let me walk you through the content we have planned for you and how this content can help you gain skills, get certified, and...
New Content: Alibaba, Azure AZ-303 and AZ-304, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Foundation, Python 3 Programming, 16 Hands-on Labs, and Much More
This month our Content Team did an amazing job at publishing and updating a ton of new content. Not only did our experts release the brand new AZ-303 and AZ-304 Certification Learning Paths, but they also created 16 new hands-on labs — and so much more! New content on Cloud Academy At...
Blog Digest: Which Certifications Should I Get?, The 12 Microsoft Azure Certifications, 6 Ways to Prevent a Data Breach, and More
This month, we were excited to announce that Cloud Academy was recognized in the G2 Summer 2020 reports! These reports highlight the top-rated solutions in the industry, as chosen by the source that matters most: customers. We're grateful to have been nominated as a High Performer in se...
Which Certifications Should I Get?
The old AWS slogan, “Cloud is the new normal” is indeed a reality today. Really, cloud has been the new normal for a while now and getting credentials has become an increasingly effective way to quickly showcase your abilities to recruiters and companies. With all that in mind, the s...