On the Cloud Academy Community, we get a lot of questions about DevOps. According to the 2017 State of DevOps Report by the DevOps Research & Assessment and Puppet, DevOps “is viewed as the path to faster delivery of software, greater efficiency, and the ability to pull ahead of the competition.” But what is DevOps? Is it a technology? A philosophy? And, what is it used for?
Today, we’re going to help clarify the mystery around DevOps by talking to Cloud Academy trainer Ben Lambert. Ben is a software engineer with a passion for information security, DevOps, hacking, and virtual and augmented reality systems. At Cloud Academy, Ben created the Introduction to DevOps course, as well as courses on Microsoft Azure, Azure IoT, Chef, Ansible, and many more (check out all of Ben’s courses here).
Here are just some of the topics that we cover in this conversation:
- How to think about DevOps and the problems that it solves
- Why company culture and values are so important for DevOps
- What it’s like to work in DevOps and why it’s more than a job title
- Why security must be part of your DevOps process
- The cloud platforms most compatible with DevOps
- The best orchestration tools for DevOps, and the potential of Kubernetes
- Ben’s recommendations for getting started in DevOps and how you can get real-world experience
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/331946734?secret_token=s-33IPZ” params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]
More DevOps resources
Get started with DevOps with Ben’s course, Introduction to DevOps, available for free on Cloud Academy.
Learn about the main features of DevOps in this post, Introduction to DevOps: Beginner’s Guide, on the Cloud Academy blog. Check out all of our DevOps posts on the blog.
Follow Ben on Twitter or LinkedIn and stay tuned for his YouTube channel!