AWS re:Invent 2016 is officially under way! James Hamilton, AWS VP & Distinguished Engineer, led the preliminary re:Invent keynote and 6 new product features and improvements were announced. Two more keynotes are scheduled for later in the week, in addition to the ongoing 280 conference sessions. Let’s take a closer look at these updates. (See the recorded keynote here)
1. AWS Storage Gateway Price reductions
AWS is updating pricing for its AWS Storage Gateway to allow enterprises to easily move their data storage to the cloud, replacing on-premise file servers, SANs, and backup solutions. Yesterday, AWS announced that the Storage Gateway service now provides support for a virtual on-premises file server and that pricing would be reduced and simplified.
There will be 3 changes to pricing (following the announcement from Jeff Barr last week):
- Storage prices for volume and virtual tapes will be reduced (up to 28% for volume and virtual tapes, and up to 43% for archived virtual tapes).
- The monthly gateway fee will be replaced with pricing based on the amount of data you write to AWS. (In all regions, you will pay $0.01 per GB up to a monthly maximum of no more than $125 per gateway. AWS is offering the first 100 GB free for new customers to allow them to set up and try the service.)
- Virtual tape retrieval will move from rate-based fees to per GB pricing. (In all regions, you will pay $0.01 per GB of data retrieved.)
2. AWS Organizations: Centrally Manage Multiple AWS Accounts
AWS launched a new feature that will allow you centrally manage all of your organization’s AWS accounts: AWS Organizations.
Especially for teams, this is a welcome, practical improvement for managing such an important resource.
According to the feature details, you will be able to arrange your AWS accounts into groups called organizational units (OUs) and apply policies to OUs or directly to accounts. It allows you to organize your accounts by application, environment, team, or any other grouping that makes sense for your business.
For more details, check out this thread on Hacker News.
3. AWS Storage Gateway provides a file interface to objects in your Amazon S3 buckets
Until now, customers using the AWS Storage Gateway could access data stored in their S3 buckets by connecting as a local disk or by accessing a Virtual Tape Library. AWS now provides a virtual on-premises file server that allows you to store and retrieve Amazon S3 objects through standard file storage protocols.
The new file gateway interface offers several benefits: It makes it easier to move data into S3 for in-cloud workloads, offers cost-effective backup and archive storage, and it expands your on-premises cloud storage.
4. Amazon Aurora and Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL are now HIPAA-eligible services
Amazon Aurora and Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL are now included in AWS’ HIPAA compliance program. This means that you can use them to build HIPAA-compliant applications and store healthcare-related information across the healthcare analytics pipeline.
5. Revolutionizing S3 Storage Management with 4 new features
AWS announced new features that help users better manage and analyze their storage. They include:
- S3 Object Tagging – This feature allows users to manage and control access for Amazon S3 objects. S3 Object Tags are key-value pairs applied to S3 objects that can be created, updated, or deleted at any time during the object’s lifetime. With S3 Object Tags, users can create Identity and Access Management (IAM) and S3 lifecycle policies and customize storage metrics.
- S3 Analytics, Storage Class Analysis – This feature allows users to analyze storage access patterns for an entire bucket, prefix, or object tag. S3 Analytics automatically identifies the optimal lifecycle policy to transition less frequently accessed storage to SIA. Daily visualizations of storage usage can be exported to an S3 bucket for further analysis using your business intelligence tools, including Amazon QuickSight.
- S3 Inventory – S3 Inventory is an alternative to Amazon’s S3 synchronous List API that can help users simplify and speed up business workflows and big data jobs. Output of your objects and their metadata comes in a CSV (Comma Separated Values) flat-file on a daily or weekly basis.
- S3 CloudWatch Metrics – View real-time operations and performance to quickly identify and act on operational issues using CloudWatch alarms. This feature offers great flexibility for defining filters for metrics in order to align them with specific business applications, workflows, or internal organizations.
6. Amazon WorkSpaces introduces Windows 10 desktop experience
Amazon’s virtual desktop solution Amazon WorkSpaces now includes bundles with a Windows 10 desktop experience, powered by Windows Server 2016. The Windows 10 bundles are in addition to the Windows 7 desktop experience, and are geared toward simplifying licensing while moving users to a modern operating system.
Here are a few links that you might find useful, including videos of some of yesterday’s sessions and other interesting information:
Scalability Comparison Scripts for Deep Learning Frameworks
AWS re:Invent 2016: Tuesday Night Live with James Hamilton
Tom Soderstrom of NASA JPL Discusses How the Cloud Is Helping Answer Cosmic Questions
AWS re:Invent 2016: Large-Scale, Cloud-Based Analysis of Cancer Genomes (LFS304)
AWS re:Invent 2016: How to Build a Big Data Analytics Data Lake (LFS303)
AWS re:Invent 2016: Continuous Compliance in the AWS Cloud (LFS302)
AWS re:Invent 2016: Building a Platform for Collaborative Scientific Research on AWS (LFS301)
AWS re:Invent 2016: AWS GovCloud (US) for Highly Regulated Workloads (WWPS301)
AWS re:Invent 2016: Governance Strategies for Cloud Transformation (WWPS302)
AWS re:Invent 2016: How EA Leveraged Redshift & 47Lining to Gather Player Insights (GAM301)
AWS re:Invent 2016: Use AWS to Secure Your DevOps Pipeline Like a Bank (FIN303)
AWS re:Invent 2016: Open-Source Resources (DCS201)
New Content: AWS, Azure, Typescript, Java, Docker, 13 New Labs, and Much More
This month, our Content Team released a whopping 13 new labs in real cloud environments! If you haven't tried out our labs, you might not understand why we think that number is so impressive. Our labs are not “simulated” experiences — they are real cloud environments using accounts on A...
Kickstart Your Tech Training With a Free Week on Cloud Academy
Are you looking to make a jump in your technical career? Want to get trained or certified on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, DevOps, Kubernetes, Python, or another in-demand skill?Then you'll want to mark your calendar. Starting Monday, June 22 at 12:00 a.m. PDT (3:00 a.m. EDT), ...
New Content: AZ-500 and AZ-400 Updates, 3 Google Professional Exam Preps, Practical ML Learning Path, C# Programming, and More
This month, our Content Team released tons of new content and labs in real cloud environments. Not only that, but we introduced our very first highly interactive "Office Hours" webinar. This webinar, Acing the AWS Solutions Architect Associate Certification, started with a quick overvie...
Azure vs. AWS: Which Certification Provides the Brighter Future?
More and more companies are using cloud services, prompting more and more people to switch their current IT position to something cloud-related. The problem is most people only have that much time after work to learn new technologies, and there are plenty of cloud services that you can ...
Blog Digest: 5 Reasons to Get AWS Certified, OWASP Top 10, Getting Started with VPCs, Top 10 Soft Skills, and More
Thank you for being a valued member of our community! We recently sent out a short survey to understand what type of content you would like us to add to Cloud Academy, and we want to thank everyone who gave us their input. If you would like to complete the survey, it's not too late. It ...
New Content: Alibaba, Azure Cert Prep: AI-100, AZ-104, AZ-204 & AZ-400, Amazon Athena Playground, Google Cloud Developer Challenge, and much more
This month, our Content Team released 8 new learning paths, 4 courses, 7 labs in real cloud environments, and 4 new knowledge check assessments. Not only that, but we introduced our very first course on Alibaba Cloud, and our expert instructors are working 'round the clock to create 6 n...
Top 5 Reasons to Get AWS Certified Right Now
Cloud computing trends are on the rise and have been for some time already. Fortunately, it’s never too late to start learning cloud computing. Skills like AWS and others associated with cloud computing are in high demand because cloud technologies have become crucial for many businesse...
Introducing Our Newest Lab Environments: Lab Playgrounds
Want to train in a real cloud environment, but feel slowed down by spinning up your own deployments? When you consider security or pricing costs, it can be costly and challenging to get up to speed quickly for self-training. To solve this problem, Cloud Academy created a new suite of la...
Blog Digest: AWS Breaking News, Azure DevOps, AWS Study Guide, 8 Ways to Prevent a Ransomware Attack, and More
New articles by topicAWS Azure Data Science Google Cloud Cloud Adoption Platform Updates & New Content Security Women in TechAWSBreaking News: All AWS Certification Exams Now Available Online As an Advanced AWS Technology Partner, C...
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate: A Study Guide
Want to take a really impactful step in your technical career? Explore the AWS Solutions Architect Associate certificate. Its new version (SAA-C02) was released on March 23, 2020, though you can still take SAA-C01 through July 1, 2020. This post will focus on version SAA-C02.The AWS...
New on Cloud Academy: AWS Solutions Architect Exam Prep, Azure Courses, GCP Engineer Exam Prep, Programming, and More
Free content on Cloud Academy More and more customers are relying on our technology and content to keep upskilling their people in these months, and we are doing our best to keep supporting them. While the world fights the COVID-19 pandemic, we wanted to make a small contribution to he...
Breaking News: All AWS Certification Exams Now Available Online
Remote proctoring for all AWS certifications Cloud Academy is an Advanced AWS Technology Partner, and we are happy to announce all AWS certification exams are available online! What does this mean for you? You can stay focused on your certification goal. Or you can start a certifica...